1918 – The first Ukrainian film studio "Ukrainfilm" emerged.
1919 – All–Ukrainian Photo and Cinema Committee appeared.
1922 – All–Ukrainian Photo–Cinema Administration united the entire film industry, including film production, film distribution, and film education in Ukraine and the Crimea.
1930 – A less autonomous organization State Ukrainian Trust "Ukrainfilm" was created.
1938 – "Ukrainfilm" was liquidated, and all the cinemas were transferred to the newly created Committee lead by the Council of People's Commissars of the Soviet Union.
1945 – A cinematographic Department lead by the Council of People's Commissars of Ukraine was created.
1973 – State Committee for Cinematography was transformed into State Committee of the Council of Ministers of the USSR on Cinematography.
1988 – The Verkhovna Rada of the Ukrainian SSR liquidated the State Committee for Cinematography, leaving Ukraine without a state body responsible for the development of cinematography.
1991 – The State Fund to Ukrainian Cinematography was established.
1993-2005 – The Ministry of Culture of Ukraine took care of Ukrainian cinematography.
2005 – State Cinematography Department was established as a public administration body within the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Ukraine.
2010 – Ukrainian State Film Agency was established.